Florence Day Three — From Florence to Venice with Love
There are mornings that begin with an alarm, a hurried coffee, the gathering of clothes and luggage, the practical motions of departure. Ours began differently. It began in the quiet way that had become uniquely ours, with sleepy kisses exchanged as buongiorno, with the warmth of his body beside mine, with love returning before the world had properly awakened. In those early hours, the city beyond the windows seemed very far away. Florence could wait. The road could wait. Even Venice, which had existed in my imagination for most of my life, could wait a little longer. Before every journey, before every new place, before the kilometres and photographs and discoveries, there was always this first arrival into one another. It was never habit. It was never merely the continuation of the previous night. Each morning together carried the tenderness of a reunion, as though sleep itself had briefly separated us and waking was our way of choosing each other again.
Eventually, the outside world returned. We dressed, gathered our belongings and secured everything onto the motorcycle. The bags were fastened, the helmets closed, and Florence began to disappear behind us as the road opened towards the opposite side of Italy. We were leaving the Tuscan city that had already given us so much, but there was no sadness in the departure. Our journey was still unfolding, and somewhere beyond the forests, the tunnels and the changing landscape waited the sea, Mestre and, at last, Venice.
The morning was warm and bright. The sun poured over Tuscany, turning the countryside into a moving sequence of gold, green and terracotta as the motorcycle carried us through it. From behind him, I watched the land flow past in fragments: fields stretching towards distant hills, dark forests closing briefly around us, villages appearing above the road and vanishing before I could properly take them in. We passed through long tunnels carved into the mountains and emerged again into sudden light, each return to the open air feeling like the beginning of another scene. There were beautiful little towns visible from the highway, houses gathered around bell towers, small worlds existing peacefully beyond the rush of the road.
Sometimes I would notice something in the distance and try to hold the image in my mind before it disappeared. Sometimes he would point towards a village or a view, knowing I might miss it from behind him. We stopped for food along the way, eating something simple and quick before returning to the motorcycle and the heat. Nothing about those stops was grand, yet even they belonged to the happiness of the day. Love has a way of transforming ordinary things. A roadside meal becomes part of a memory. A bottle of water shared beneath the sun becomes an intimacy. A hand resting briefly on your knee can contain more tenderness than the most elaborate declaration.
The hundreds of kilometres did not feel like an obstacle between us and Venice. They felt like part of the promise. We were not trying to escape the road. The road was where our life together was happening. There was something deeply beautiful in travelling this way, with my arms around the man I loved, watching Italy change around us while he carried us steadily towards another place he wanted me to see. The destination mattered, of course, but so did the movement towards it. It was the feeling that wherever we were going, we were already exactly where we belonged.
By early afternoon, we reached Mestre, the place that would be ours for the next two nights. It was close enough to Venice that we could reach the floating city in minutes, but distant enough to allow us to return at night to quieter streets and a calmer rhythm. The sun was high and fierce when we arrived, bleaching the pavements and buildings in an almost explosive light. After hours on the motorcycle, the heat seemed to rise from everything around us.
We carried our luggage into the hotel and took our things upstairs. Behind the closed door of the room, the road finally fell silent. We showered away the dust, the heat and the long journey, and then returned to what the morning in Florence had begun. There are people who believe that desire fades into familiarity, that love eventually becomes something quieter and less urgent. Ours had never obeyed that rule. The distance travelled beneath the sun had not diminished anything. Exhaustion had not placed itself between us. We found each other again with the same certainty and need, as though every kilometre had only carried us closer.
For us, love was not something reserved for the beginning or the end of a journey. It existed at the centre of everything. It was in the mornings, in hotel rooms, on roads, beneath helmets, across tables, in the silences between words. It was not separate from the places we visited. It was the invisible thread connecting them all. Florence, Tuscany, Orvieto, the waterfalls and now Venice were becoming chapters in the same story, not because of geography, but because we had lived them together.
When we were ready, we left the hotel and set off once more. We parked the motorcycle in the garage outside Venice and approached the boats offering to take visitors into the city. Their prices were so shamelessly inflated that the whole exchange quickly became absurd. There was a brief argument, some insistence on their side, refusal on ours and the familiar irritation of encountering people eager to profit from a traveler’s first uncertainty. In the end, we rejected the expensive boats and chose the metro instead, travelling towards Venice the way ordinary people did.
Three stops later, the doors opened.
Venice did not feel like a city one simply entered. It felt like a vision gradually materialising around us.
I had never been there before, but Venice had lived inside me for years. I knew it through paintings, novels, films, photographs and the descriptions of people who had returned from it unable to speak of it without exaggeration. I had seen the canals in countless images, the palazzi rising from the water, the gondolas passing beneath bridges, the marble façades and the impossible architecture of a city built where no city should have been able to exist. Yet none of those images had prepared me for the physical reality of it.
We began walking through the narrow stone streets, following passages that seemed to turn without logic, opening suddenly onto canals and small squares before narrowing again between ancient buildings. Everywhere I looked, there was another façade demanding attention. The palazzi stood with the grandeur of old aristocrats, beautiful even in their decay, their colours softened by centuries of water, weather and salt. Windows opened onto canals instead of roads. Stone steps descended directly into the water. Balconies leaned over alleys so narrow that the buildings appeared to be whispering to one another.
I kept stopping. I looked upwards at carved windows, faded walls, shutters, arches and fragments of ornament. Every few metres Venice offered another composition, another photograph, another reason to remain still while everyone else continued walking. I wanted to preserve everything, although even then I understood that Venice could not truly be contained inside a camera. A photograph could hold the colour of a wall or the reflection of a bridge, but not the sensation of turning a corner and discovering water where a street should have been. It could not capture the sound of footsteps on stone, the faint echo beneath an archway or the strange intimacy of a city in which every path seemed to lead towards something secret.
And then there were the gondolas.
I had dreamed of them for years, but seeing them for the first time was something entirely different. I loved them immediately and without reservation. I loved their long black silhouettes, their curved prows, the richness of their interiors and the extraordinary grace with which they moved. They rested beside old stone steps as though they had always belonged there, then slipped away almost silently into canals so narrow that it seemed impossible for them to pass.
I watched them beneath bridges, between houses, along quiet stretches of water and among the movement of the busier canals. Sometimes only the prow appeared first, gliding into view before the rest of the boat followed. Sometimes a gondolier’s voice travelled ahead of him, carried and multiplied by the walls. Then the gondola would pass beneath us, elegant and unhurried, and disappear around another corner.
I could not stop looking at them. Every gondola seemed worthy of another photograph, even when I had already taken dozens. I stopped on bridges and beside canals, lifting the camera again and again, convinced each time that this one was somehow different from the last. He remained beside me with the patience of someone who knew that hurrying me would be impossible and, more importantly, unnecessary. He understood that I was not simply recording a city. I was meeting something I had imagined for a lifetime.
We continued deeper into Venice, allowing the streets to lead us rather than trying to impose a route upon them although he had a specific direction that he was searching for but not speaking about. The city revealed itself in fragments: water flashing between buildings, laundry suspended above hidden courtyards, carved stone reflected in dark canals, narrow boats tied beneath windows, façades glowing in the afternoon sun. I felt that I could have walked there forever and never become indifferent to it.
Then the passage opened, and Piazza San Marco appeared before me.
Nothing had prepared me for that moment.
The Basilica rose at the far end of the square, its domes, arches and mosaics shining beneath the Venetian sun. The Campanile stood above everything, severe and magnificent, while the long arcades enclosed the square with an elegance that seemed almost unreal. Seagulls moved through the open sky. People crossed in every direction. The marble reflected the fierce light, and the entire scene possessed a grandeur that no photograph, however beautiful, had ever communicated to me.
I stopped walking.
For several moments, I could not speak. I could not even move. The square seemed too vast, too beautiful, too complete. It was as though all the images of Venice I had carried inside me had suddenly assembled themselves into one overwhelming reality.
Then the tears came.
They were not tears of sadness or nostalgia. They came directly from beauty, from the shock of finally standing before something I had imagined for so long and discovering that reality had surpassed the dream. They were tears of joy, gratitude and love, the tears of a woman who had been carried across Italy and placed, almost impossibly, in the centre of one of the most beautiful places on earth beside the man she loved.
He turned towards me and saw them.
“Amore, tears? Why?”
There was concern in his voice, but also tenderness, as though some part of him already understood.
“It’s from the beauty,” I told him.
He looked at me, and then his face changed. A genuine, loving smile spread across it, the smile of a man moved by my happiness, not merely amused by my emotion. His voice softened into that familiar tone that belonged only to us.
“Amore.”
It was a single word, but it contained everything.
In the way he said it, there was affection, recognition and a kind of gentle wonder. He was not looking at the Basilica then. He was looking at me. He was seeing Venice through my tears, seeing the moment become real in my face. For those few seconds, the city was no longer the destination. My happiness was.
That moment has remained inside me with a clarity that photographs cannot reproduce. The square, the sun, the gulls, the people and the gold of the Basilica are still there in my memory, but at the centre of it stands he, saying Amore in that voice, smiling because something beautiful had reached me so deeply that I could no longer contain it.
He had already seen Venice. He did not need the city to surprise him. What he wanted was to watch it surprise me.
There is a kind of love that wants to possess. There is another kind that wants to witness. It wants to place beauty in front of the person it loves and then step quietly aside. It asks for nothing except the privilege of seeing joy appear on another face. That afternoon, surrounded by the splendour of Piazza San Marco, I understood that this was how he loved me. He had travelled hundreds of kilometres across Italy, not simply to bring me to Venice, but to see me meet it for the first time.
When I finally moved again, we continued towards the lagoon. The city opened onto water and sky, and San Giorgio Maggiore appeared across the distance, pale and serene beyond the movement of boats. The light shimmered over the surface, breaking into silver around the passing vessels. Gondolas rested near the shore, their dark forms contrasting with the brightness of the afternoon, while the breeze from the water softened the heat.
We walked along the waterfront and then a little farther, taking in the view, stopping for photographs and allowing ourselves to be carried by the atmosphere of the place. Eventually we returned to one of the restaurants facing the lagoon and sat down for dinner.
The bistecca alla Fiorentina arrived on a sizzling pan, accompanied by vegetables, the meat still crackling from the heat. In front of us, people passed along the promenade while beyond them there was only the water. Boats crossed the lagoon. The light shifted slowly. Venice continued around us, but for a while our table became its own small world.
There are moments when happiness does not arrive dramatically. It does not announce itself or demand recognition. It simply settles around you, so complete that you almost fear moving in case you disturb it. Sitting there with him, after the long journey from Florence, after my first sight of Venice and the tears in Piazza San Marco, I felt something close to perfect peace.
I looked across the table at the man I loved and understood that happiness was not waiting for me somewhere in the future. It was not dependent on a different life, a different season or a promise yet to be fulfilled. It was there, in that exact moment, in the heat rising from the pan, the water beyond the passing people, the sound of his voice and the certainty of his presence.
If happiness had a name that afternoon, it was Anna.
It was me, sitting in Venice with the man I loved, knowing that I lacked nothing.
After the steak came dessert, because such a day deserved sweetness, and then a glass of local grappa. The warmth of it travelled slowly through us as the afternoon began to soften. We remained there while the light changed, reluctant to hurry towards the end of anything.
When we left the restaurant, Venice was entering another of its transformations. The hard brightness of the day began to fade. Stone turned warmer. The water gathered the colours of the buildings and sky. Shadows lengthened beneath the bridges, and the city seemed to exhale after the intensity of the afternoon.
We walked towards the Bridge of Sighs and took photographs there, standing before a place whose name had existed in our minds long before we saw it. Around us, Venice continued its endless movement of visitors, boats, footsteps and water, but the evening was beginning to make everything gentler.
We wandered again without urgency. I photographed palazzi, bridges, windows, gondolas and canals until the daylight began to disappear. Every reflection seemed richer than the one before. The warm colours of the façades spread across the water, trembling whenever a boat passed, then assembling themselves again after the wake had vanished.
By the time we reached the Grand Canal, the sunset had deepened into the extraordinary colours that only water seems able to hold. Gold became copper, copper became crimson, and crimson gradually surrendered to blue. The palazzi along the canal appeared suspended between daylight and night, their windows beginning to glow as the sky darkened above them.
I remember looking at the Grand Canal and feeling that Venice was not merely reflecting the sunset. It was transforming it. The colours stretched across the moving water, fractured by boats and gathered again in their wake. Lights appeared one by one along the shore. The city that had dazzled me in the afternoon became mysterious and intimate, as though night had removed its public face and revealed something more private beneath it.
The gondolas became dark silhouettes against the reflected sky. Their movement seemed even quieter at dusk, almost dreamlike. I watched them pass beneath the deepening colours and felt again the same wonder I had experienced when I first saw them. They belonged equally to the brightness of day and the secrecy of night, carrying people through a city that seemed to exist somewhere between water, memory and imagination.
We continued walking until Venice had become almost entirely nocturnal. Eventually, we reached the metro and began the journey back towards the mainland. The day remained inside me with such force that I felt I was carrying the entire city away, the Basilica, the gondolas, the Grand Canal, the sunset, the grappa, the bridge and his voice saying Amore.
Our motorcycle waited for us in the garage, patient and familiar after the splendour of Venice. We climbed onto it and began crossing the narrow road that connected the island to the mainland. Beneath the night sky, the motorcycle felt less like a machine and more like a chariot carrying us away from another world.
Behind us, Venice slowly receded into darkness and light. Ahead of us waited the quieter streets of Mestre and the room that had become ours. The road stretched between sea and sky, and for those minutes there seemed to be nothing else in existence. No past, no future, no uncertainty, no world beyond the two of us. There was only the night, the movement of the motorcycle, my arms around him and the feeling that love had carried us beyond ordinary time.
Years from now, I know I will forget the exact route we walked through Venice. I will probably confuse one bridge with another. I may no longer remember which little square led us towards the lagoon, where we first stopped to photograph a gondola or which narrow street brought us suddenly into Piazza San Marco. Time will slowly soften those details, just as the sea has softened the stones beneath the city for centuries.
But there is one thing it will never touch.
If someone asks me what my first memory of Venice is, I will not begin with the Basilica. I will not begin with the Grand Canal. I will not even begin with the gondolas I could not stop watching, those beautiful black silhouettes gliding through water that reflected centuries of history.
I will tell them about a man.
A man who travelled hundreds of kilometres across Italy to place me in the middle of Piazza San Marco. A man who turned towards me when he saw the tears on my face and asked, with the tenderness that belonged only to him, “Amore, tears? Why?” A man who listened when I told him they came from beauty, and then smiled with such genuine love that the whole square seemed, for a moment, to exist only inside that smile.
I will tell them how he said Amore.
How one word, spoken softly, held more feeling than a hundred elaborate declarations.
How he looked at me as though my wonder had become his own.
How, in the middle of one of the most magnificent cities ever created, I understood that the most extraordinary thing before me was not made of marble, gold or water.
It was the way he loved me.
I have often wondered what love looks like when it reaches its simplest and purest form. Now I know. It is found in the roads someone chooses because they know what waits at the end will make you happy. It is found in the cities they long to show you, in the patience with which they wait while you photograph one more canal, one more bridge, one more gondola. It is found in the silence they offer when beauty leaves you without words, and in the tenderness with which they speak when tears appear.
Venice gave me more beauty than I had imagined possible.
He gave me something rarer.
He gave me the experience of being seen in the very moment I was seeing the world.
And if I close my eyes now, I cannot remember which took my breath away first: the Basilica rising before me in the Venetian sun, or the smile of the man who had crossed half of Italy simply to watch me fall in love with it.

- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment